Food intolerances (not allergies) are getting a lot of attention these days. It seems like every restaurant now has a gluten-free menu and every food product has a gluten-free version. However, going gluten-free is not just the latest fad diet (at least it shouldn't be!). Exposure to the food to which you are intolerant could cause a wide array of problems, and many of them could be chronic. For example, someone with any of the following issues should be evaluated for gluten intolerance, specifically:
- Any Autoimmune Disorder (i.e., Hypothyroidism, Diabetes, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis)
- Gastrointestinal Issues (Irritable Bowel, Reflux, Colitis, Crohn's, Chronic Diarrhea, Constipation)
- Peripheral Neuropathy, Seizures, Unexplained Neurologic Disorders
- Anxiety, Depression, Autism, ADD
- Asthma, Allergies
- Osteoporosis, Osteopenia, Iron Deficiency
- Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain (Even Low Back)
- Sleep Disorders
- Unexplained chronic problems for which no medical diagnosis can be found
The body's inflammatory response to a specific food or ingredient can yield any of these problems, among others. If you suffer from any of the above issues, we can perform any of the ALCAT test panels in the office to determine what foods or environmental factors you may be reacting to. Upon receipt of your results, Dr. Lyon can counsel you through an elimination diet to avoid the foods to which you react, giving your body an opportunity to heal. Sometimes, food intolerance is to blame for stubborn weight that just won't budge despite your best efforts.
Please download and complete the "Review of Systems" document to bring with you to your blood draw appointment.
If you have not been seen here by Dr. Lyon (either for weight loss or food intolerance coaching), please download and complete the "New Patient" forms.